© Content by Léanie Foot 2017. Powered by Blogger.

Follow Us @bluepoinsettia_za

Monday 28 January 2019

I Have a Phobia

It's Summertime in Cape Town and many people love to spend some time in the swimming pool floating on Unicorns, Doughnuts or even Flamingo's! It looks so relaxing and yet for me, it's a completely different story...


I can't swim at all.  There are times that I wish that my Mom should have taken me for swimming classes when I was still a baby, but money was tight and she can't swim either. So I can't really blame her. 

I remember so well like it was yesterday.  During a Sunday-school picnic, I was walking in the swimming pool and all of a sudden my foot has slipped in the pool and I have almost drowned that day and many other occasions after that. 

When you have a fear of drowning I believe that the teacher should be with you in the pool at all times and not like the teacher that I had in school where she has simply stand on dry land! 

When I was in higher grades my Mom has written a letter to the LO teacher to inform her she won't purchase for me a new swimming costume that year, since I can't swim. So I was excused from swimming during the Summertime - I was feeling so lucky since I HATE to be in the swimming pool with so many other people around me.  

Little did I know during my Varsity years I had to take swimming again as part of my teaching training and yet even the Lecture didn't go into the swimming pool with us and there were other students that couldn't swim either! 

I personally feel that when you want to learn someone to swim it should be on a one to one basis. Not where a bunch full of kids and shout instructions on what to do. Heck, I can also give instructions out. I feel this should change!! Don't you agree? 

If I was an LO teacher I would let the kids that can't swim take lessons after school one a one to one basis and I would be with them in the pool, but first, you should have the learners trust, especially if they have a phobia of water. 

I had the opportunity that someone would have taught me how to swim. Yes, that person would have been with me in the swimming pool, but I was petrified of the pool at the Varsity since it was an Olympic size! Not the average school swimming pool! 

Secondly, I didn't have a swimming costume, but I could probably have managed to get one, but I also don't feel comfortable wearing a swimming costume at all.

As I'm sitting here thinking back to those years there are times that I really wished that I should have said yes instead of listening to my head. I'm that kind of person that would think more before I would act. 

What would you advice someone like me that have a fear of water and that has a self-esteem issue with how she looks, especially wearing swimming costumes? 

Please stay safe near the swimming pool and keep a look out if you spot someone that is in trouble... 




No comments:

Post a Comment