© Content by Léanie Foot 2017. Powered by Blogger.

Follow Us @bluepoinsettia_za

Thursday 14 June 2018

Listen To Your Inner Voice

Good Morning!

Today I want to share my personal story with you.  Some of  you might know that I was in the Teaching profession. 

I remember when I was a little girl I wanted to be a teacher like my Sub A & B teacher. Okay, i'm partly giving my age away, since we are using  Grades these days. She was a teacher that have inspired me to become one. One of the few teachers that have really inspired me to become one myself.  I know that many children say that a young age. That they want to be a teacher, doctor or even a firefighter etc.

My thoughts while growing up have changed during my schooling years. I recall that at some point I wanted to work in the computer related field, but later on I thought to myself why one earth do I want to work day in and out on a computer!?  It would be boring. Yeah, right little did I know that I'm more on the computer these days.

Listen To Your Inner Voice

In Grade 12 I had to make a decision of what I wanted to do with my life. Scary thought to think about that actually. At such a young age you have to make such an important step that will change the rest of your life! 

I wanted to be an Home Economics teacher. Back then we went to College of Cape Town formally known as Cape College  and they informed us that they do not train any teachers. They have advised us to go to Cape University of Technology formally known as Cape Technikon. I was informed then that they don't have a course to be a Home Economics teacher, but if I want to become one I first have to do an Hospitality course and after that an Teaching course.

I know that my sister have done the Hospitality one and that was 3 years and teaching are 4 years. Yikes! Thus I must study 7 years!? I simply didn't want to go this long route.  So teaching was the only option for me. 

As the years go by started to question myself do I still want to be a teacher? I had so many questions that I have asked myself including many prayers with God just to give me a sign if it's the correct path for my life.

I also remember that during my studies I wanted to drop out and, since I just could not deal with this any longer, but my parents encourage me to complete my studies.  I think they were more concerned about  the money spend than my happiness at that time.

In 2010 when I had my first class.  I remember it very well I stood in-front of the class busy writing on the blackboard and I just wanted to hand in my resignation. I have never seen as class that bad in my teaching training as this! I thought it would go better with time right!?  Little did I know...

Every day when I was walking in the school-grounds I was looking at the cars driving past me and I was wishing that I could be there rather than here!  I hated every single moment of this place. The working environment for me was so toxic that I have  developed depression. 

Everything went downhill for me back then.  I didn't receive any support from the school or any special leave regarding my mental illness. Just medication and I must still face this place that felt like  a prison to me.

Looking back now the only thing that I have learnt is to not trust people that easily.  They will sit in a meeting with you and agree to what you say, but be careful they will discuss you with others and they will make you look like the  one in the wrong. 

I have also learnt that they wanted me out of the school that's why they made it like hell for me.  I was the only white person on the staff and this school was situated in a Township area. 

My life could have been so much better if I have dropped out of Varsity and studied something else instead.  I should listen to that inner voice of me when I had doubts about what I should do with the rest of my life! The other chance that I had was when I was standing in the class and felt on the urge just to walk out and hand in my resignation.

If you don't feel something is right WAIT first.  Don't make a decision so quick. Even if you have to take a year off before you want to study further - take the time that is needed.  It's your life and you have to live with that decision.

If I can give you one piece of advice.  Talk to someone that you know that you can trust if she / he thinks it's the right choice that you are making. Remember that you have to look this for the long haul. In this regard I would also advise you to speak to different people in that profession to what it's really like to work in that field. 

Training to be an educator like in my case didn't prepare me for all the back stabbing that would take place or that your character would change so much that you will start to hate the person that you have become.

Being a Teacher wasn't a walk in the Park rather a walk in the  Jurassic Park!

To you dear friend do not turn off that inner voice that is guiding you.  Listen to it very carefully. Don't be like me that take it for granted...


  • Did you had any moments in your life that you know you should have listened to that inner voice inside of you? 
  • Did you listen to it or did you like me just ignored it? 
Keep well, 


No comments:

Post a Comment